Warning: Creating default object from empty value in /www/subeta.net/forums/index.php on line 49 Pet safe way to get rid of ants - Subeta
Pet safe way to get rid of ants
#1 :: May 12th, 2011 @ 2:24 PM
spiderman143swife
is a sun worshipper

User Avatar: 199467
10,828 Posts
899 Achievements

So our house has a ant problem now that its summer time. They are in the Kitchen, in our cats room, and now getting into our room. We sealed off where we thought we seen them coming out in both our room and the cats room but they still are coming out. I think they are coming out of the wood work around the frame since they are small enough to fit. My boyfriend said he will caulk the windows so that will help but for now and incase that doesn't work I need some kind of advice on what we can do/use. We have 2 pets here a cat and a dog. It has to be something the cat will not play with and something the dog will not be able to well I'm not sure how to explain that, lets just say hes 13 and blind so he can't see anything.

Any advice or anything would be great! We've been keeping his food closed and out of the window way and our room we've been taking more care of as well. The kitchen... well theres not much we can do there since its the main food place -_- I have NO Idea where they are coming from in there though. I haven't looked I just know they are far worse in there. This is the worse its been in the past few years we've lived here!

Engaged to spiderman143
Forever and always 10-11-05

#2 :: May 12th, 2011 @ 3:14 PM
Tipawhee
is a skilled hooker

User Avatar: 308254
4,581 Posts
1,214 Achievements

You have saved Our lives, we are eternally grateful.

@spiderman143swife

Mine where coming in through the dishwasher. I have NO idea how. But I noticed that if I ran the dishwasher (through a hole cycle) and empty it as soon as dishes were done then never let dishes sit in the sink it really helped to cut down on the ants. It happens at my parent's house too. I have NO idea how they're getting into the dishwasher. So, if you have one, it's a good place to start.

Does your cat go on your counters? If not, place Terro liquid traps (you can now find them in Walmart) where you notice them. They get in there and then take it back to the nest. My cat, while inside, was never attracted to it. Ants on the other had acted like it was sugar water. They were all gone within 3 days. We use them every single time we get an ant problem which is about once a year. If your cat does get on the counter, put it under a kitchen cabinet that has a lock on it in a place you won't accidentally knock it over.

click for image It isn't exactly what you'll find in the store but at least you'll know the colors.

Last Edit by: Tipawhee 5/12/11 - 3:14:47 pm

#3 :: May 12th, 2011 @ 3:14 PM
Paramount
Blabbermouth

User Avatar: 293340
918 Posts
275 Achievements

@spiderman143swife
So, I have a cat, and what we did was mix some boric acid in with sugar water into a cup with a lid. (it should be plastic so it doesn't seep through. We poke holes in the top so the ants could get in and out, and so our cat wouldn't try and eat it. We still put it a bit out of the way though.
Annnd, the ratio of what to use:
1 cup water, 2 cups sugar, 2 tablespoons boric acid

Is there somewhere you can put it, like a corner in the pantry, where your pets can't get to? It usually takes a week or so, but we always start in early April. Kills of the colony for the year. Yay! It may take longer, but it defiantly works.

Honestly, unless your house is super sealed off ants will find a way to get in.
But yeah, if there is no way to keep this from your pets, I wouldn't use it.

#4 :: May 12th, 2011 @ 3:50 PM
Argentea

User Avatar: 579886
37 Posts
38 Achievements

I read that if you place cucumber peels by their hills/holes, they don't like the peels so they can't get out. And you should wipe with a bit of vinegar where they've walked, because vinegar clears the scent trails they leave for their little ant brethren to follow. o:
I hope this helps. <:

#5 :: May 12th, 2011 @ 4:01 PM
spiderman143swife
is a sun worshipper

10,828 Posts
899 Achievements

@Tipawhee
We don't have a dishwasher :( We've thought about getting one but his dad said when we move out it won't be worth it for just his few dishes. We try to wash them after use but sometimes we don't eat dinner till late night and after eating we usually go to bed.

Hes not allowed on the counters so I might tell his dad about them and see if he wants to give them a try.

@Silvoth
That might work for the kitchen but not either of the rooms :( Oliver likes to get into our window and sit and he roams around on the desk sometimes in his room. I don't want to risk him finding it and knocking it over or getting curious.

@Argentea
You know I was thinking last night wondering if vinegar or water+vinegar would work. I'm so irritated with the ants today! I've had 2 crawl on me and 3 on the laptop screen! That makes you have the feeling like they are crawling on you too!

Did a bit of cleaning up and moved the food we have in here (packaged/canned/ect. in one area now though so I can keep a eye on it. Its all enclosed/sealed so they can't get in. A few things weren't so they are going to be tossed.

Engaged to spiderman143

#6 :: May 12th, 2011 @ 4:10 PM
Argentea

User Avatar: 579886
37 Posts
38 Achievements

@spiderman143swife
D: I had that problem earlier. My dad got some traps in, and that seemed to get rid of them.

#7 :: May 12th, 2011 @ 4:11 PM
lighthawk
made a living

User Avatar: 218738
4,125 Posts
679 Achievements

Seriously, spray the baseboards with Windex. It is pet safe (they dont lick it) and it gets rid of ants. My dad uses it every summer in our kitchen and it works!

#8 :: May 12th, 2011 @ 4:16 PM
Camellia
made a living

User Avatar: 464851
1,858 Posts
488 Achievements

If you come across a big bunch of them, pour a pot full of boiling water on them. The survivors will scurry back to the anthill and warn the others to stay away.

#9 :: May 12th, 2011 @ 4:22 PM
Jayney
is a Time Lord

User Avatar: 318786
4,282 Posts
1,192 Achievements

Doctor Rag Doll
Book Of Spoilers
Doctor Rag Doll

DON'T BLINK

@spiderman143swife
We have an ant problem in our house and we use AntStop! Bait Stations.
They look kind of like hockey pucks and are of a similar size so they are small enough to slide under furniture.
We put ours under the kitchen units and they work a treat.
The stations not only kill the ants that go near them but the whole colony because the worker ants take the ant killer back to the colony.

If you can get something similar then I would try to get them.
As for your cat, we have three cats and none of them have become ill from them, so I think they must be pet friendly.

#10 :: May 12th, 2011 @ 6:36 PM
Junior Archaeologist
Medli

User Avatar: 265025
1,904 Posts
575 Achievements

@spiderman143swife

You could try sprinkling cayenne pepper around the cracks where you think they're coming in. It confuses their sense of smell and makes them retreat without killing them. There are other spices you can use for the same effect, but I can't remember them off the top of my head. 8)

#11 :: May 12th, 2011 @ 8:07 PM
Shay
is a Time Lord

User Avatar: 237183
6,823 Posts
1,435 Achievements

We had ants galore in the previous house. We have cats and a dog. Tried everything pet safe we could think of to get rid of them. We finally had to resort to spraying outside around the house and in the basement (animals never went down there) then putting bait out where the cats couldn't get to it. That was the only thing that would cut the numbers down to almost none. Would find one every few weeks. Ortho Home Defense I believe is the spray.

I had a nest in my room. There wasn't any food or drinks that they were going after, they just came in and made a nest in some papers that got shoved under my bed. Only found out after I spilled some pop and a day later followed the trail that showed up. Seriously freaked me out.

Remember, pillage first then burn.
-----
Mission is over, mission is done
I will miss you children of the sun
Now it's time, to go away
Goodbye, goodbye Milky Way

#12 :: May 12th, 2011 @ 10:03 PM
Spite
is shady

User Avatar: 572568
1,182 Posts
581 Achievements

I have the same problem, it's so irritating.
What's more annoying is that I have no clue where the hell they all come from so I can't like go to the source and kill them all off at once. B(

I did have the same problem at another house too, but after we used the Bayer Home Defense spray they eventually just stopped coming and died off. So try that maybe?

#13 :: May 12th, 2011 @ 10:53 PM
Sage
is a big bully

User Avatar: 2800
4,644 Posts
1,103 Achievements

I'm having the same problem too. I've been spraying white vinegar around the baseboards in our kitchen. It hasn't gotten rid of them, but there are far less ants appearing than before.
:c

#14 :: May 13th, 2011 @ 2:38 AM
fledgling
is shady

User Avatar: 528775
7,246 Posts
866 Achievements

@spiderman143swife
We mix Borax with powdered sugar (half and half) and spread it around the nooks and crannies of where the ants are (usually the kitchen). What happens is that the ants start to carry the sugar back to the nest, and then later the Borax kicks in and they start to die off. It works pretty well but you'll probably need to apply it repeatedly until they're gone.

#15 :: May 13th, 2011 @ 2:39 PM
Starfleet
is magical

User Avatar: 475855
3,647 Posts
951 Achievements

|tumblr|
We have two cats, and what we've used has been simple ant traps, it's worked for us. And by moving the cat's food dish to another part of the room.

#16 :: May 13th, 2011 @ 2:44 PM
audiorush
gets around

User Avatar: 545860
1,037 Posts
330 Achievements

@spiderman143swife

Call your local exterminator, they should have some pet-safe sprays. Alternatively, a lot of the sprays are only poisonous while they're wet so if you can keep your pets away for the 15~30 minutes it takes for it to dry your pets should be fine. Just read the labels on the bottles.

I wouldn't use plain Borax and sugar if you think your dog or cat will get into it. I would use a commercial spray with Borax because some of those have chemicals put in there to make them unappealing to pets.

Basically just read the labels of whatever you're buying. "Natural" deterrents like vinegar, cloves, and black pepper don't work very well, in my experience.

I only ask to be free. The butterflies are free.
Ping me or its likely I won't reply.

#17 :: May 13th, 2011 @ 3:00 PM
Tris
is a gem

User Avatar: 172000
7,625 Posts
1,015 Achievements

If your cat doesn't go out, boric acid works on most bugs. Just sprinkle it everywhere you can think of outside and you will wake up to a zillion dead bugs everywhere. Its a powder, so you might have to re-apply often as it will blow away.

#18 :: May 14th, 2011 @ 6:04 PM
Anthem
is a sun worshipper

User Avatar: 369673
3,115 Posts
473 Achievements

@spiderman143swife

I don't know if it's toxic or not for cats but I know you can use some corn starch to get rid of ants. It makes their belly blow. So you can put some near where they come from and they'll get the starch and yaah. Maybe you can ask your vet if it's okay for your pets.

#19 :: May 14th, 2011 @ 9:40 PM
Spotlight Champion
Lisa

User Avatar: 318114
12,778 Posts
1,135 Achievements

@spiderman143swife
Try sprinkling corn meal where the ants are and around their nest if you can find it. They'll eat it and die because they can't digest it, but it won't hurt pets at all.

#20 :: May 15th, 2011 @ 12:27 PM
Cabbs
Tongue Wagger

User Avatar: 544180
1,505 Posts
231 Achievements

@spiderman143swife
Ants hate vinegar. Spraying vinegar along doorways, windowsills, and countertops, as well as washing away ant trails with the stuff, will keep them away.

#21 :: May 24th, 2011 @ 8:51 PM
spiderman143swife
is a sun worshipper

10,828 Posts
899 Achievements

Sorry for the late replies everyone! Updates;
We have the window cauked but they still are appearing
They seem to love my boyfriends XBOX 360 :(
They are still getting in I think :(
I wiped the boareds of the window and the bottom of the baseboards by the floor (yay they are appearing there now -_-) with white vinegar but still they are coming.
His dad bought ant spray for the kitchen (I'd have to look at the can again) and is using it I think. Though I don't know if its pet friendly :( I suppose as long as it stays on the counter it will be ok? D:

@lighthawk
I might try that tom. D: I think we have some windex..... :X

@Camellia
I don't think pouring boiling water on our carpet would be good. There are some anthills in the brick walkway to the front steps of our house do you think it would be ok to pour water on those?

@Jayney
I don't really have anywhere to put them in this room other than maybe over the vent on the floor and I'm not sure that would be good :X

@Fai
I've thought about that but we have 5 outdoor cats (er well they aren't "ours" per say but they hang around here they have since they were kittens) and I'd be worried about them. They are only 1 year old.

@Expert_Fieldmouse
Its pet safe? If so where do you find/buy Borax? I've never heard of the stuff....

@Starfleet
There really is no good spot for it X___x I think his room is fine now I haven't noticed any in there. I think once my boyfriend moves his clothes back off the hamper I'm going to re-set it there so the dog can't come in and eat his food (main reason it was moved in the first place)

@Nikou
Theres a bottle of that stuff in the kitchen and it doesn't seem to work X___x

@Kyradriel
I don't think we have any of that stuff but if we do do you think sprinkling them outside where they are on the sidewalks would work? I'm not sure where they are coming from 100% still right now :X

Engaged to spiderman143

#22 :: May 24th, 2011 @ 9:14 PM
Shay
is a Time Lord

User Avatar: 237183
6,823 Posts
1,435 Achievements

@spiderman143swife

Only thing to do now is nuke your house from space, I'm sorry.

We had an outdoor cat, more like him and a few other people's cats, that hung around our house. We just made sure he didn't get in the way while we sprayed and stayed away from the area until it dried.

Has it been raining a lot where you live? That tends to make them come in to find food. Usually when it starts to dry out they'll start to stay out as long as you don't leave food out, at least the ones we dealt with did. I don't think there's a sure fire way of getting rid of them once they find out your house is buffet central. Sneaky things will eat through caulking.

Remember, pillage first then burn.
-----
Mission is over, mission is done
I will miss you children of the sun
Now it's time, to go away
Goodbye, goodbye Milky Way

#23 :: May 24th, 2011 @ 9:29 PM
spiderman143swife
is a sun worshipper

10,828 Posts
899 Achievements

@Fai
lol don't even get me started on how much its been raining X____x I'll have to keep that in mind though. I hope they don't start eating thru it. I'll have to have him re-caulk it yuck I'm so sick of the things! He just went out earlier and shook them out of his power cord XD X____x we've been really good at throwing stuff away though lately I'm proud of us lol

Engaged to spiderman143

#24 :: May 25th, 2011 @ 1:03 AM
fledgling
is shady

User Avatar: 528775
7,246 Posts
866 Achievements

@spiderman143swife
I'm not 100% sure; my cats have never tried to eat it, which is why I thought it would be all right. They just ignore it and avoid walking in it, although I don't know how a dog would deal with it.

There are other ways to repel ants, like chalk lines, corn meal (swells in their stomachs but is safe for pets ... actually found in lots of pet foods, but not the most nutritious for them), cinnamon (safe for both cats and dogs), or mint leaves (mint spreads quickly so be careful where you plant it, but if you just spread the leaves around the house that will work too. Again, safe for cats and dogs).

You can also leave dishes of maple syrup around (if they're sugar ants) ... safe for the pets, but the ants will climb in and drown. Don't use bay leaves or laurel leaves because although they're supposed to repel ants, they're apparently toxic for cats.

Borax and sugar works well because the ants carry it back to the queen and so it kills the whole nest, but if you're hesitant to use it, one of those other things should work well as a deterrent. Even if it doesn't get rid of them completely, it should slow them down for a while.

Here's a site which lists plants to avoid for cats and dogs:
http://www.aspca.org/pet-care/poison-control/plants/plant-list-cats.aspx
http://www.aspca.org/pet-care/poison-control/plants/plant-list-dogs.aspx

#25 :: May 25th, 2011 @ 6:42 AM
Spotlight Champion
Lisa

User Avatar: 318114
12,778 Posts
1,135 Achievements

@spiderman143swife
It should work...they know it's food so they'll carry it back to their nest. They don't know they can't eat it. And once the queen eats some and dies, there goes the nest.