Warning: Creating default object from empty value in /www/subeta.net/forums/index.php on line 49 Yarn Dread Falls - Subeta
Yarn Dread Falls
#1 :: February 26th, 2012 @ 3:52 AM
Val
gets around

User Avatar: 602801
283 Posts
584 Achievements

Anyone know anything about making them? xD
I've just started out and I'd like to have a full set made by April.
I'm having some problems with finishing out the ends and having the yarn get tangled constantly.
Any tips at all would be really appreciated.
I looked up some videos but in the best one I've found the girl isn't very descriptive about finishing and and how to prevent tangles when making longer ones.

I have a picture here of a few I've made. They just don't look as good as I'd like them to. :L

#2 :: March 10th, 2012 @ 11:42 PM
chop

User Avatar: 605432
6 Posts
92 Achievements

take a long piece of yarn twice the length you want the fall to be, fold it in half. now take a section of your hair, and at the base, wrap the yarn around your hair and using the two pieces plus your hair, plait the three together, tying off at the end. depending on thickness you could then repeat the process.

#3 :: March 11th, 2012 @ 7:10 AM
Val
gets around

283 Posts
584 Achievements

@chop
Yeah that's exactly what I have been doing, except with yarn instead of my own hair because I'm braiding them in so I can reuse. I was just looking for pointers on how to refine the process, not how to do it as I already know that.

Thanks though. :L

#4 :: March 11th, 2012 @ 1:25 PM
JayJay
is a mirage

User Avatar: 267079
2,772 Posts
929 Achievements

@Toaster
Not something I can say that I've ever done, but maybe you can find some pointers here?
There's also YouTube for tutorials, but the one I watched doesn't contain any refining tips, just the recommendation of using a more braided-looking yarn.
The type of yarn you use has a lot to do with how it could turns out, apparently. I've never made them before though, I just thought I'd try to help you out. Hopefully you're able to find what you're looking for. :]

Last Edit by: JayJay 3/11/12 - 1:34:19 pm

Psychotic in mind, Chaotic at heart.

Dare to be different, to deviate from the "norm"

#5 :: March 14th, 2012 @ 4:39 AM
Val
gets around

283 Posts
584 Achievements

@JayJay
Thanks ^^
That link actually helped and yeah, I've had the same issue with youtube. I've watched over 40 videos now and they are just not descriptive enough for me x3
I didn't even take the type of yarn into consideration though. I'm a cheapo so I was just buying the regular stuff.

#6 :: March 14th, 2012 @ 10:11 AM
JayJay
is a mirage

User Avatar: 267079
2,772 Posts
929 Achievements

@Toaster
Well the video I watched talked about using the more crinkly/wavy looking yarn to make dread falls that looked braided but weren't. It was super simple and they looked rather nice, but it wasn't what you were looking for so I didn't link it. But if you're interested in seeing it, Here is part one & Here is part two. Otherwise, I'm glad I was able to help! I can't wait to see your new and improved dread falls. :]

Psychotic in mind, Chaotic at heart.

Dare to be different, to deviate from the "norm"