Warning: Creating default object from empty value in /www/subeta.net/forums/index.php on line 49 Feeling Disappointed with New Job - Subeta
Feeling Disappointed with New Job
#1 :: March 16th, 2012 @ 4:55 AM
Blue
is a skilled hooker

User Avatar: 311331
221 Posts
411 Achievements

BURN BEH-BEH!

I finished uni last year, with a Science Degree in Anatomy and Human Biology.
I decided this year would be my break year, and next year I would do a masters or a post-grad degree. That way I could really think about what I'd like to do.

So I thought I'd get a part time job so I could have money during my gap year.
I just wanted a retail job, but nobody would hire me due to me not having any retail experience. (I have secretary experience, however not looking for an admin job since it was a bit boring for my tastes). :/
Anyway, A friend of mine was doing an 'orderly/patient service assistant' job at a hospital, and it pays 21 dollars an hour which sounds good! (It would also help me decide what to do for my post-grad as I want a health care job)

She told me it would involve serving patients food, tea and coffee, transferring them around the wards via pushing their wheelchairs/beds, portering around documents and some cleaning. So I thought, "For 21 dollars an hour, that sounds good!" (And since I'm working weekends, that means I'll get paid time and a half, so around 30 dollars!)

So I managed to get the job, and started this week. I feel so disappointed...
Sure, I do get to serve patients their tea and coffee, as well as porter documents and them around. But the cleaning I have to do is phenomenal! Every day I clean the patients rooms and clean their bathrooms/toilet. I also have to clean the main ward area and the staff toilet of the ward. I just feel like a cleaner.

I know there is nothing wrong with being a cleaner. I just feel disappointed because I have a anatomical science degree, and many doctors don't even look at me because they view me as the 'janitor'. I keep telling myself I just wanted an easy job to earn cash for my gap year, and that if I put my mind to it I can easily become a doctor (I did quite well in the GAMSAT test after all), but I really do feel low when patients or other staff members see me lugging around the cleaners trolley with mops.

I don't know what to do.
A part of me wants to quit due to my stupid pride and job-envy. I also don't want my friends or my mum to know that I'm doing a 70% cleaning job.

A part of me once to stick around though, as the serving of patients is rather fulfilling (though I don't get to do it that often). That and the pay is good! Also, it would give be a good reference for further jobs especially in healthcare.

I think I'm just ranting... but I really do feel kind of stuck. :( I don't know what to do...
I should swallow my pride right? Just stick with it for a few months? D:

EDIT: Editted due to typos.

Last Edit by: axel 3/16/12 - 7:39:43 am

Art by Choco

#2 :: March 16th, 2012 @ 5:03 AM
War
is Darksided!

User Avatar: 282558
943 Posts
415 Achievements

@axel

Oh goodness, don't quit. With a salary like that? In an economy like this? Where most kids out of college end up flipping burgers at McDonalds because there's nothing for them?

I'll be honest, I didn't finish my college schooling due to life circumstances (although I intend to one day), and have been banging around horrible minimum-wage jobs ever since just to afford my bills. If all I had to do was clean at my job, for that kind of pay, I'd do it for a living.

People these days have a stupid amount of self-entitlement when it comes to jobs. I've told my father once that I'd shovel crap if it paid more than what I make currently... a measly 7.25 an hour (which I'm grateful for, considering theres so many more people who make less than I. Its crazy).

I'm not jumping on you or being rude in the slightest dear, just giving you another insight to perhaps think about. Yes, the work may seem less than glorious, but in the grand scheme of things you are making so much more than a lot of Americans... dare I say than most Americans. Jobs with that kind of pay are so rare nowadays, hold onto it. And if your job envy gets too much, don't be afraid to expand your horizons, but don't bail ship right away. You may end up regretting it! <3

#3 :: March 16th, 2012 @ 6:01 AM
Blue
is a skilled hooker

221 Posts
411 Achievements

BURN BEH-BEH!

@Dh00m

Thank you! *cling*

I don't know why I'm so proud, I think maybe I'm too scared about what my mum would say.
When I stupidly complained about, "Oh man, there's so much cleaning to do..."
She became quite sharp and was like, "CLEANING?! What kind of cleaning?" with narrowed eyes to which I stammered just cleaning the table and some light dusting.
She's in no way a snob or anything like that, but I think she feels like since I finished a degree I should be doing better then just cleaning.

Oh wow, 7.25, that's not much at all. I didn't think the economy was like that in America. :( (I'm in Australia, but I have to say things are getting a lot pricier here, especially fuel. A cleaning job is better then no job at all.) I feel a bit silly for complaining about a job that pays so well (especially the weekend shift), when people who work their butts off aren't complaining at all (In fact I do feel a bit embarassed about the whinging).

I'm going to tough it out and ignore those silly doctors.
Besides, if I do become a doctor one day at least I know not to make the PSAs/Orderlies feel small.
:)

Thank you so much Dh00m. I feel better. I really appreciate your words. <3

Art by Choco

#4 :: March 16th, 2012 @ 6:06 AM
War
is Darksided!

User Avatar: 282558
943 Posts
415 Achievements

@axel

Oh silly me, typical American, assuming everyone on the Internet/Subeta is obviously American as well. HRRRNG. xD My apologies dear.

No problem! <3 Honestly, even the best of jobs start out in the worst of places. Like zoo-keeping... you don't start with handling the animals, you handle their poo first and work your way up the proverbial ladder. I'm sure you'll do the same!

Good luck!

#5 :: March 16th, 2012 @ 6:32 AM
Rhiannon
is a skilled hooker

User Avatar: 270181
1,015 Posts
516 Achievements

@axel
There is nothing wrong with having a sense of pride, but to be ashamed to tell someone that you have a position that involves cleaning? I don't understand. You may have a degree, but you also have no experience. What you're doing now is gaining real-life experience, and I can assure you when the time comes for you to get a better job, the fact that you were willing to scrub toilets and mop floors will help you. No one is going to look down on you for taking an entry level position that involved cleaning when you apply for something better. I have a friend who graduated from nursing school last year. She took a job at a retirement center doing pretty much exactly what you are doing now, and hated every single minute of it. Instead of quitting, she did her very best, offered to help with anything that needed to be done whenever she could, and within three months was able to apply for an actual nursing position at the same facility. She was given the job over many other applicants just because she had proven to the staff there that she didn't mind getting her hands dirty and working her way up the ladder.

The biggest concern I have for you is the fact that you feel you have to lie to your mother because of what her reaction might be. You say she's in no way a snob, but did she expect that because you have a degree an employer would tell you you're too good to push a mop? You don't start at the top just because you have a degree. Hang in there, take any job you can possibly get that is in the healthcare field, get all the experience you can.

#6 :: March 16th, 2012 @ 7:38 AM
Blue
is a skilled hooker

221 Posts
411 Achievements

BURN BEH-BEH!

@Leslie

I think the reason I'm so worried about telling my mum that my job is 70% cleaning is that she herself has a lot of pride and is the type of parent that goes around to other parents and family members and boasts about their offspring. I think maybe it's this reason that I'm so worried about telling other the high cleaning aspect in my job in fear of what they'd think. :(
My mum's partner has a cleaning business, and two of his sons work for him. She often says, "See, if you don't get an education you'll have to scrub toilets and do cleaning."
I think maybe she looks down on his 'uneducated' kids and holds me on a higher pedestal which I guess is why I'm stressing out about what she'd think of me when she finds out I do something similar. Haha, now thinking of it, she really is a bit of a snob.

I know I shouldn't care what she thinks. I don't know why her opinion even really matters. I've been telling myself the job will indeed give me much needed experience and help me gain character. Along with the generous pay, I know I shouldn't be complaining. :/

The story about your friend makes me feel better. It's a big hospital and lots of jobs open up on a regular basis. And with a good reference from someone in the wards I'm sure I could progress up the ladder eventually! :)

Thank you for your words!

Art by Choco

#7 :: March 16th, 2012 @ 3:08 PM
KisaAida
Funky Forum Feli

User Avatar: 583611
167 Posts
77 Achievements

@axel

There is money in cleaning! One of my neighbors was a mechanic, lost his job due to downsizing, and started helping his wife out with her new cleaning business. He makes more cleaning a few houses than he EVER did as a mechanic.

On another note, this gives you people experience. I have a friend who even though he has the grades, he has no retail/customer service "skills" as he has lived and worked on his family farm his whole life. So trying to find a summer job for him is turning out to be hell. You need life experience to go along with your degree, and this is giving it to you.

"You let your fear of magic turn to hate, I pity you" Druid-Merlin

#8 :: March 16th, 2012 @ 3:14 PM
Junior Archaeologist
Anders

User Avatar: 476401
4,194 Posts
477 Achievements

@axel

I say stay, if you are looking for a job in healthcare and you quit the one you have it may look bad. This way you have experience with them, also in healthcare you're going to be doing A LOT of cleaning.

#9 :: March 16th, 2012 @ 3:41 PM
Nightingale
gets around

User Avatar: 296020
4,423 Posts
473 Achievements

@axel

The world runs on entry level employees who aren't too good to get dirty, and I fully believe that every person should at least once work in an entry level position to remind them of what they're not too good to do. Nix your pride. No one is too good to clean. Like someone said above, you may have a degree, but your stock is low in the work world with how little experience you have in the overall. You ARE entry level, and this is usually the type of job entry level employees get. Your mother IS a snob in some way. She is if she tuts at what other people does. Exactly what you explained is a snob. Try and ignore her, because it is a terrible mentality to have. You earn quite a bit and do a service that looks good on your resume. No company lead doing hiring would be pleased if they found out someone was too proud to clean. It's just not an attractive prospect in a person. This is good. You really do want to work doing this at least once rather than be one of the big wigs up there who have never touched a broom outside of their home. Hard work is worth more than education, and combined, they're a very good thing. Cause you can teach most people just about anything if they're willing to learn, but you can't teach everyone work ethic.

#10 :: March 16th, 2012 @ 5:44 PM
Octovan
is bright-eyed and bushy-tailed

User Avatar: 583396
143 Posts
248 Achievements

I would stay- in my point of view, I think it is just as honorable to do a job that many other people wouldn't want to do. Sure, you aren't a doctor or at least in the healthcare field yet, but your ass isn't going to be on the line if you miss cleaning a restroom or two. I hope I didn't sound rude saying that, but since you have little hands-on experience with people, you should be lucky that you don't have the stress on your shoulders to make sure that they are healthy virtually every waking moment of your shift. And it doesn't really matter how much book-smarts you have; it's how you learn to practice and use those smarts and apply it to your trade that makes you a great healthcare physician. Hence why you are on the totem pole.

Besides, I don't think the staff view you the way you think they do- would any trauma surgeon gladly drop his charts to go and clean the halls? You are keeping the place clean and sterile, so you are doing just as much as they are.

#11 :: March 16th, 2012 @ 8:49 PM
The Advertiser
PearlPrincess

User Avatar: 255632
1,037 Posts
615 Achievements

See the cleaning part as keeping your patients healthy by not let them live in a dirty environment, if you can imagine in poorer countries when there is no money nor equipment to have the basic in hygiene being done. Also you can use the time to observe how the staff is approaching the patients and learn from it. Some people got the social skills to handle each patient and some needs to go through with experience to become really proffesional. Even if those are proffesional private life can interfere and make the doctors/nurses have bad days.

#12 :: March 17th, 2012 @ 10:35 AM
Blue
is a skilled hooker

221 Posts
411 Achievements

BURN BEH-BEH!

@KisaAida @Raiden @Lacie @Octovan @PearlPrincess

I had my first shift by myself today without a 'buddy' person. (By buddy I mean somebody else that has held the job for a long time and is there to help me for the first few shifts so I don't do everything by myself). Although I did find it overwhelming with the amount of things to do, the job itself isn't too hard. It doesn't involve a lot of thinking, which is what I wanted anyway in looking for a job. I didn't want to dive into research labs like my fellow graduates, and wanted a break, and this job offers a lot of money for something as simple as cleaning as well as an insight into hospital-working life.
I think just being around the doctors just gave me a little job-envy, which made me feel a little down with regards to what I was doing. There's just so many admirable people there with admirable jobs, and it made me feel a little embarrassed and a little low.
But I have indeed been telling myself that this is what I need, and it's good experience and will give me direction.

One thing that kind of affected me a little was on my first training day. I was learning to work a 'Gzunda', which is a machine that helps orderlies push beds more easily without hurting ones back. The nurses and other workers there were happy enough to wait as I turned a difficult corner, but a doctor walked passed and pushed the bed into my stomach (which winded me a little bit). He then proceeded to say, "If you hit a doctor with a bed, I can get you dismissed." I was a little upset but the person training me said doctors at this hospital were sometimes a bit rude. I think I just felt low, and my pride a bit bruised since he thought I was some 'lowly' cleaner. I feel really... intimidated by the doctors at the hospital now. I kind of can't make eye contact with the ones in my ward because I feel embarassed about my job... Heh. But the nurses all seem appreciative of me, which does make me feel better. :)

I will ignore my mum and her unfair views. I think she does have unrealistic expectations of me which make me freak out and pour out a huge sob story on a forum. XD I truly appreciate everyone's opinions. I feel better about my job, and I know this is all for the better of my future career and it will definetely be good for my resume and will provide me with some nice life skills.

Art by Choco

#13 :: March 17th, 2012 @ 1:50 PM
Octovan
is bright-eyed and bushy-tailed

User Avatar: 583396
143 Posts
248 Achievements

@axel

That's the spirit! I'm glad you are deciding to stay, and I am sorry to hear about that little incident; it seems there is that stereotype of snobby doctors, but at least you have the nurses and other workers on your side. :) Besides, the patients might be a little more warm towards you if that's how the doctors act. I understand that their shifts are stressful sometimes, but that is no excuse to act rudely like that towards anyone regardless of how much they make.

#14 :: March 17th, 2012 @ 2:36 PM
The Advertiser
PearlPrincess

User Avatar: 255632
1,037 Posts
615 Achievements

@axel I'm happy you decide to stay. There will be always a snobby or rude coworkers everywhere but how you handle those people is what really counts. Also as long as you are doing your job and not let them telling your work is not important. Stay positive :D

#15 :: March 19th, 2012 @ 12:42 PM
Blue
is a skilled hooker

221 Posts
411 Achievements

BURN BEH-BEH!

Hi to all that have ventured back into this board. :)
I just wanted to say that after two days of working solo by myself, I have a tremendous sense of self-satisfaction and on my first day off (which is today) I actually really miss working and am looking forward to going back there for my next shift. C: The patients are always happy to see me and I feel really happy small-talking with them. They really seem to appreciate what I do even if it's just little things like cleaning, tea and coffee and serving food.
I guess I complained a little too early and it was typical of me to not like change (it takes me a while to get used to things).

I've taken a lot of the advice given on board, especially regarding job envy. Thank you to everyone that have given me their time and advice, I really appreciate it. :)

Art by Choco