Warning: Creating default object from empty value in /www/subeta.net/forums/index.php on line 49 How to go pee when hiking/camping (warning TMI) - Subeta
How to go pee when hiking/camping (warning TMI)
#1 :: May 29th, 2012 @ 2:24 AM
dollphina

User Avatar: 610894
9 Posts
5 Achievements

I'm going hiking with some friends next weekend in the forest. Since we'll be gone a few hours, I'm gonna have to pee somewhere!

Do you walk far into the forest, or squat behind the first trees, or even just at the side of the trail?

Do you take toilet paper or napkins in your backpack?

Also, after you wipe, what do you do with the used toilet paper? Just drop it?

#2 :: May 29th, 2012 @ 3:05 AM
Fiain
is a Time Lord

User Avatar: 563654
631 Posts
350 Achievements

I dub this thread very useful if this question can be answered for us poor female-types.

I went camping with my two friends once, both boys, andddddddd when I went to make water, I ended up peeing on the hem of my jeans.

I will never live it down with those two.

#3 :: May 29th, 2012 @ 3:12 AM
Lamb
is lonely

User Avatar: 394867
9,426 Posts
1,074 Achievements

Seais
Darkness hates beautiful things, so it obscures them.

@dollphina

Do you walk far into the forest, or squat behind the first trees, or even just at the side of the trail?
I would suggest off the trail in the trees in case you want your friends watching.

Do you take toilet paper or napkins in your backpack?
Only if you dont want to wipe yourself with a leaf....

Also, after you wipe, what do you do with the used toilet paper? Just drop it?
Drop it, or "bury" it under a thin layer of dirt. It not like they tp isn't biodegradable.

Also, as @Fiain mentioned, be careful when squatting so you dont pee on your clothes. Hell if you want, before you go practice squat pees at home. Basically just squat over the toilet and dont touch it :D

Last Edit by: Lamb 5/29/12 - 3:13:38 am

Exclusively Exclusive
Tumblr | Lotto | Chat

#4 :: May 29th, 2012 @ 4:38 AM
Fiain
is a Time Lord

User Avatar: 563654
631 Posts
350 Achievements

@Lamb

There is some pretty good advice.

Also, if you're in hilly country, try to position yourself so the urine flows downhill directly between your legs, and not pooling around your sneakers. Where the hem of your jeans happens to be.

#5 :: May 29th, 2012 @ 7:11 AM
VOLGA
is shady

User Avatar: 367151
5,806 Posts
503 Achievements

@dollphina
You're probably going to want to get into a full squat (calves against thighs and heels touching the floor) [like this] for a lack of a better example, haha. But obviously with your trousers around your knees. Note that his arse is not touching the floor.
Anyway, this will stop it running down your leg, as it would do if you weren't in a squat, and that's the easiest position to maintain, as it's not putting pressure on your leg or back muscles.

You might as well take some tissues with you, or even just a bit of toilet paper, seeing as you'll be there less than a day, so won't need to urinate that much.

#6 :: May 29th, 2012 @ 9:50 AM
Lamb
is lonely

9,426 Posts
1,074 Achievements

Seais

Practice, practice, practice <3

@Fiain
I didn't even think about hills. Another idea, if your comfortable with it, prop yourself against a tree, and squat down as far as you can, then you got the tree for added support and your not worrying about falling over into dirt or something else...

Exclusively Exclusive
Tumblr | Lotto | Chat

#7 :: May 29th, 2012 @ 10:39 AM
Margarita
is a Time Lord

User Avatar: 398791
9,891 Posts
732 Achievements

@dollphina
If it's a hiking trail, there should be porta potties along the path. Ask one of your friends if it's a trail you're hiking. Stay safe

#8 :: May 29th, 2012 @ 10:57 AM
Gravity
Tongue Wagger

User Avatar: 57419
2,916 Posts
374 Achievements

@dollphina
I remembered seeing a little device for women to use so they could urinate outside... Googled a bit and I found it: http://www.go-girl.com. Might seem a little awkward, but I think it's better than potentially urinating on your clothing.

As for toilet paper, do what you said. Bring it, wipe, maybe bury it? It is paper after all.

#9 :: May 29th, 2012 @ 12:56 PM
First Mate
WAVVES

User Avatar: 310192
3,324 Posts
653 Achievements

Currently on semi-hiatus.
Squat, piss, spread legs a bit wide, wipe with leaves or somethin', get up

roll out

Violet Snow Fairy

{{ Merry Christmas }}
Hoarding Bottled Fairies

Willing to pay for masses of fairies that you don't need
? /1000

#10 :: May 29th, 2012 @ 5:57 PM
facebook
is a real friend

User Avatar: 462931
2,600 Posts
651 Achievements

@dollphina

pft i'm pro at this by now~ I've been on two 9+day canoe trips so yeah

usually (even if there are boys around) we'd let people know that we are going to pee.. or at least I would lol.. I know one way of showing this was we would have a roll of like toilet paper on a tree branch and if the roll was gone you don't go exploring. because someone is peeing. the one problem we had at the one campsite was well someone put two rolls out.. so i went to go to the general bathroom area of the camp site and i walked in on one of the guys on the thunderbox... and for some reason I remember him holding a newspaper... which is REALLY weird because were in the middle of the woods oh i dont know where the hell he would find a news paper from.. ... the other awkward thing that happened (warning tmi moment) was i was on my period... and before that trip i had never used a tampon so i was really bad at getting them out because for me it hurts like a dog (i must have been doing something wrong) and then a guy almost walked in on me... shoving something up my vagina.. .. so i literally yelled at him "STOP RIGHT THERE DONT COME ANY CLOSER!" so he turned around and left.. .. (it probably doesn't sounds as bad when i'm typing it but hey.. it was super awkward for me okay!)

ANYWAYS: I would usually just squat and pee and yes girls CAN aim their pee... we just use our pelvis. :I for the toilet paper we would dig a hold and then bury it .. same with the poop... dig a big hole.. poop in it .. bury so no one sees your poop .. as for tampons... the girls would save them in a brown paper bag (since there were like 7 girls and 2 or 3 of them were on their period) and have a 'burning ceremony' at the end of the day (so yeah we'd burn the bag while the boys were off minding their own business) it's important to burn it and not bury it because the blood will attract animals..

THAT'S IT THAT'S ALL I GOT!

~art shop~

#11 :: May 29th, 2012 @ 8:04 PM
MikiDaCrow
is magical

User Avatar: 88716
6,445 Posts
1,346 Achievements

@dollphina
Actually, before you go burying the tp or fecal matter, you really need to check about the rules in the park. There are some parks that are really stringent about waste removal and you have to actually pack it back out with you! I'd suggest taking a ziplock bag in a small brown paper bag along to port out any waste, disgusting as it might be.

Here's an awesome book all about this particular topic, it's funny and sensible at the same time.

Awesome book with awful name

Last Edit by: MikiDaCrow 5/29/12 - 8:05:06 pm

#12 :: May 29th, 2012 @ 8:08 PM
The Doctor
Hazy

User Avatar: 228248
1,371 Posts
509 Achievements

I hate camping with a passion, but I know that if one day I HAVE to, I'll buy some of those cone thingies so I can pee standing up. I know it's a bit weird, but isn't it just so uncomfortable to have to squat in a forest with your arse bare and trying not to pee all over yourself? *shudder*

H - A - Z - Y

#13 :: May 30th, 2012 @ 8:43 PM
dollphina

9 Posts
5 Achievements

@Margarita
Its a wilderness trail so there aren't potties. Ofcourse I would a potty if it was sitting right there!

@Lamb
Thanks for helping! I don't want to use a leaf cuz there might be a bug on it, or it might be poison ivy!
Your right that toilet paper is biodegradable (i looked it up) so I guess its fine to just drop it??

#14 :: May 30th, 2012 @ 8:47 PM
Lamb
is lonely

9,426 Posts
1,074 Achievements

Seais

@dollphina
well, maybe bury it in a shallow grave XD That way no run in's with wild animals chewing up your tp

Exclusively Exclusive
Tumblr | Lotto | Chat

#15 :: May 30th, 2012 @ 8:49 PM
Patience
is a mirage

User Avatar: 487861
5,499 Posts
882 Achievements

If you do pee without any tissue, try to look for some dock leaf!

Its a safe leaf you can use to wipe with if you need to xD

Looks like this: https://www.google.com/search?hl=en&client=ubuntu&hs=s7Z&channel=fs&gl=uk&q=dock+leaf&bav=on.2,or.r_gc.r_pw.r_qf.,cf.osb&biw=1280&bih=601&um=1&ie=UTF-8&tbm=isch&source=og&sa=N&tab=wi&ei=isDGT8n6MeW_0QWBvKCrCw

I have used it before, its k :)

Last Edit by: Patience 5/30/12 - 8:51:49 pm

#16 :: May 30th, 2012 @ 8:52 PM
dollphina

9 Posts
5 Achievements

@Lamb
lol well i'm not exactly gonna be carrying a shovel, that's why i was hoping it would be ok to just drop. or maybe toss behind a bush or something.

#17 :: May 30th, 2012 @ 8:53 PM
Lamb
is lonely

9,426 Posts
1,074 Achievements

Seais

@dollphina
Dig a hole with a stick XD OOOOOR, I quite like your idea of tossing it behind a bush. Reminds me of the bread crumb trail

Exclusively Exclusive
Tumblr | Lotto | Chat

#18 :: May 30th, 2012 @ 9:03 PM
dollphina

9 Posts
5 Achievements

@Patience
But would you take tissue if you could?

And since it seems like you know what you're doing, would you just toss it behind bush?

#19 :: May 30th, 2012 @ 9:06 PM
Patience
is a mirage

User Avatar: 487861
5,499 Posts
882 Achievements

@dollphina - If I took tissue I think I would bury the tissue a little bit or hide it away so it does not drift around in the wind!

If you do use a leaf then just toss it ^^

Also, yes, yes I would use tissue! xD

#20 :: May 30th, 2012 @ 9:41 PM
Organ Donor
Madeline

User Avatar: 488695
5,315 Posts
663 Achievements

@dollphina

I recommend squatting just like everyone else here. Very effective for keeping pee off your clothing and I've found it sort of eases your nerves if you're nervous about peeing in the open in relative public like I am. c:

I wish I thought to ask about this before my wilderness hiking trip last Saturday. That would have made things soooo much easier on me. lol

Kisses Given: 824/1,500

Kisses Received: 1,317/1,500

Organs Harvested: 44/50

Flowers: 130/100

#21 :: May 30th, 2012 @ 10:00 PM
dollphina

9 Posts
5 Achievements

@Madeline
yea it seems everyone says to squat. i'm gonna do that. but did you take t.p.? and what did you do with it afterwards?

#22 :: May 30th, 2012 @ 10:15 PM
Organ Donor
Madeline

User Avatar: 488695
5,315 Posts
663 Achievements

@dollphina

Embarrassingly enough, I hadn't thought to bring any because I was going with my boyfriend and he said he was bringing everything and I'm not much of an outdoorsy person (plus I had no idea where we were going since it was a surprise location) so we didn't even have napkins I could have nabbed. :S
Based off of that, I found it quite effective to sort of let things air dry for a little if you're in a real pinch. It sounds gross but it works. (Seriously. I was grossed out but hey. A girl's gotta do what a girl's gotta do. D: )

I also highly recommend bringing SOMETHING toilet paper-like and do what everyone else said. Bury or hide it the best you can so it doesn't attract the wild beasties until after you're gone.

Last Edit by: Madeline 5/30/12 - 10:15:44 pm

Kisses Given: 824/1,500

Kisses Received: 1,317/1,500

Organs Harvested: 44/50

Flowers: 130/100

#23 :: May 31st, 2012 @ 4:36 PM
Annika_Kisha
is magical

User Avatar: 583116
165 Posts
724 Achievements

@dollphina
Thank you so much for making this topic. I have always wondered about that
@Fiain
I had that same problem when i was like 14 when i was out with my family. They never have let me live it down ether

#24 :: June 3rd, 2012 @ 12:04 PM
Lyude
Silly Spamming Sausage

User Avatar: 601192
364 Posts
152 Achievements

@dollphina People have covered most things and being of the incorrect sex for this topic, I seriously don't have a clue about pee issues, but:

1) What MikiDaCrow said. Some areas don't let you just poop in the ground and require you to carry it around with you. As much as I'm relatively outdoorsy, I would never camp anywhere with that sort of rule in place.

2) If you get your period you'll have to carry your stuff around with you because female sanitary products generally don't biodegrade, and as Facebook said, they can actually attract animals.

#25 :: June 6th, 2012 @ 6:30 PM
Band
donated to the cash shop

User Avatar: 515484
1,455 Posts
241 Achievements

One time my family was doodling around in basically the middle of nowhere because there were some trellises on the side of the road my mom wanted so she was trying to contact the owner and ask if she could have one. I had to pee really bad so I had to go in the field. I'd never peed on the ground before and had no idea how so I ended up peeing all over my pants and had to sit in the car, wet pants and reeking of piss, until mom finished her business with the trellises and we went home. ;______; That sucked so much.

Quote:
*southern belle voice* Ma'am... in that toilet bowl right there... I don't appreciate. */southern belle*

Art by a Resident of Shadowglen. <3